Pages


Sunday 10 January 2016

The coolest month of the year....Literally!

I think that January is the coolest month of the year, I know you'll think I'm bonkers but I do believe it's true. For most, it is that time of the year when everyone seems to be blue. January, the month that heralds the start of the new year and the freshness that is should, in theory bring to our mundane lives is actually in the opinion of most, the most depressing month of the year.

Now, one needs to ask why, poor January has to put up with such a bad reputation. Well to start, the holiday season is behind us, it is probably the coldest month of the year in most parts of the world; at least the northern hemisphere. Also, most of us begin the month by taking up New Year resolutions, that we invariably end up abandoning by the end of the first week.

For me however, January has always been a good month. One of the main reasons is that my mother was born in January, so I have always spent an enjoyable time looking forward to her birthday and planning to make her day memorable. I've never felt that way about my own birthday, which is curious, but for me, my parents' birthdays have always been special.

Also January is the month that never disappoints, it is always cold, and winter is my favourite month. I love the cold biting air. I suppose I am an odd one, because many invariably spend the month complaining about the cold; but you see I have never liked heat, and being an Indian, I had to suffer through the torrid unbearable summers in the Indian subcontinent. However, in my defence, I loved the cruel winters even when I lived in England, as well as the one winter that I spent in the American mid-west. So I do love winters, no matter how brutal they might be.

So, even if January ends up disappointing you dear reader, take my advice and look at it with new eyes. It always meets our expectations by being terribly cold, always starts with us making new resolutions, which we have the pleasure of breaking; because we can. And lastly, it starts with the promise of spring and a new year that helps us turn our backs on the disappointments of the previous year. So here's wishing you a Happy New Year.      

No comments:

Post a Comment