Pages


Monday 21 February 2011

Dear Reader, as I sat comfortably on a couch eating a huge slice of chocolate cake watching the BBC news at ten, I caught myself cribbing about the amount of calories I was putting into my mouth!!! I had this sudden epiphany……we are soo selfish!!! I mean it; all of us in our own way are sooo selfish!


What I mean to say is that here I was wasting my time thinking about something that really didn’t make a difference to mankind (well except burden mother earth with a few extra kilos) whilst there, right in front of me some responsible journalist was talking about the revolution going on in North Africa!!!


This self centred attitude has to be one of those things that lead to soo much trouble. I know that as an insignificant student I am not knowledgeable enough to comment on the world in general but hey! all of us are entitled to our opinions.

Yesterday they were talking about how 84 have died in three days of protest in Libya. I can only say that I really admire the people in Tunisia, Egypt and now Libya who are trying to break free from oppressive regimes. However, as a student of history I have observed that the path to liberty is not an easy one.

They aired an interview of Col. Gaddafi some days ago and as I watched him on TV I had this mental vision of the Roman emperor Caligula. I know it sounds weird but I can't help but compare them. In my opinion, Gaddafi is like a modern day Caligula. Just as wily,selfish and stubborn but at the same time insane and clueless.In fact, I would not be surprised if he meets his end at the hands of his own people, just like Caligula who was murdered by his personal guard. The fact that his selfish need to cling to power has led him to attack his own people says a lot. I mean, logically how can one be a ruler if there are no people to rule?

Well, we just have to wait and see in the coming months if the Revolution in Libya is as successful as the ones in Tunisia and Egypt.

Gaddafi: The modern day  'Caligula'
Caligula: The original poster boy for 'mad tyrants'  
                           


No comments:

Post a Comment