Pages


Tuesday 25 June 2013

Music, flowers, books....and rain

My Dear Reader, I can't remember the first time I stopped to smell flowers,the first time I picked up the pen to write, or even the first song I listened to over and over again...I cannot even think of the first book that made me fall in love with reading...yet, these are the things that give me the most pleasure. These....and then the rain.

It's that time of the year again, yes! The monsoons are here. The time to fall back under the the spell of mother nature in her many majestic hues is here. So, I have paused, just for a bit to admire the gorgeous gift from nature that is-Rain.    

I have previously written about stopping and taking the time to appreciate the things that really matter. However, I find myself guilty of rushing by the things that give me real pleasure. So, I have resolved to take in the beautiful fragrance of the flowers that bloom during this lovely monsoon season. They seem brighter and more fragrant. I find myself wondering, if it is so because of the life-giving rains or because I haven't noticed their charms for a while.

The pitter-patter sound that the raindrops are currently making on the windowsill, have proved to be an inspiration for me to write this post after weeks of writer's block. Dear reader, I must tell you what a relief it is for me to finally be able to write again. The past couple of  weeks have been trying, as I was unable to retreat into my world and write.

I am listening to a golden oldie whilst I write these words. The lyrics roughly translate to the rain, bringing back the love of your life... Isn't that a wonderful sentiment. Rain brings so many things, melancholy, solitude, pain, longing, bliss and that most powerful of emotions, love.

What better sentiment to dwell upon than love, even if it is unrequited.  A great book that tells the story of love and yearning seems like the perfect companion on this wet evening. When all outdoor activity ceases, the best way to unwind is curling up and retreating into the world of exhilarating words, that remind one of how amazing writers actually are. I can't help but be inspired by the sheer genius that some individuals have of weaving great stories.

So, dear reader, this monsoon do all the things that remind you of why life and her many wonderful moments that are so like the myriad drops of rain, quenching the parched soul with vitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment