Pages


Monday 26 September 2022

Why does the size of our bodies make the society around us deem us worthy of notice?

 It is raining cats and dogs outside, and instead of the joy rains usually bring to my heart all I can do is fret about how I can't walk today. One year ago I went to the doctor due to unusual weight gain despite engaging in regular exercise, and not being a heavy eater, in fact I am your usual run of the mill vegetarian. After a long series of tests, the doctor, who turned out to be a kindhearted and unbiased person (she believed me when I said I exercised regularly!) told me in no uncertain terms that I had PCOS and my body was effectively working against me. She promptly put me on the required medication and, forbade me from running for the time being, as I was in my quest to lose weight destroying my joints by putting undue strain on them. Thus started my transition from avid runner to reluctant walker, and fat person to not so fat person ( I still don't meet the ideal of society accepted thinness). 

I confess, that I still run, perhaps 30 mins once a week (like an addict, I need my fix although carefully rationed), but the rest of the time I spend walking and listening to podcasts and music from diverse genres such as Indian classical, fusion music, western classical, K-pop, and rock and roll. As boring as I find walking, having run seriously since the age of 12, I find the activity much more conducive to indulge in my passion for music. 

The positives of  discovering world music aside however; I have realized how different it is to be who I am as a person now. I have seen aspects of myself and have made unpleasant discoveries about my discomfort in my own skin. I had absolutely no sense of self worth. As if being fat and plain made me invisible. I know, on a cerebral level, that I matter, however, on a deep level, which stems from my emotional self, I did believe that I was worthless. These feelings came to the forefront when after a year of perseverance I managed to lose more than 25 kgs. I could see that the woman staring back from inside the mirror looked slightly different, but I didn't feel different. 

However, the reaction of the world was so drastically different, as to make me sit up and take notice. The well meaning of course commended me for my perseverance, these were generally women especially older women, the male gaze though was drastically different. Most of them seemed to view me with consternation; they looked at me with questioning eyes, as if wondering 'was she always attractive? or did we never pay attention?' Needless to say all these bizarre reactions solidified the great inferiority complex that I seem to have harboured in my mind for decades, which I only noticed now. 

To be honest it is hurtful, my own self loathing is deeply distressing, but what made me angry was the total and utter difference in treatment by the world around me. I feel like a fraud for the pretense that I indulged in for nearly half a dozen years; espousing, what I believed were feminist ideals of acceptance and body positivity, when all I was doing was running from the true feeling of self hatred and discomfort in my own skin. Was I always so superficial? I still don't believe that I am beautiful, but the fact that I am constantly being told by random people around me that I am suddenly attractive makes me feel as if I have lost the battle somehow. As if my quest to improve myself constantly, specifically my intellect, has somehow failed. I send this final question into the void then....Why do we always feel subpar as individuals due to our looks, why is our sense of self not satisfied with out intellectual capabilities and character? 

No comments:

Post a Comment