Pages


Sunday 19 December 2010

Musings about the autumn term

Dear reader, since my last entry, I have regained my lost confidence. I may not be Salman Rushdie (not that I like his style of writing but, he IS successful) but I think that I have improved. In the course of the past couple of day, I have witnessed some of the best and worst moments of living life.

The autumn term is at an end and I am done with the first part of my course. Although I am looking forward to the holidays, I can’t help but feel sad that the term had to end. I really liked Journalism in Transition and the Tuesdays spent at the Argus training rooms.

One of the best bits of the training at the Argus were the days I spent doing practical work, out in the ‘real world’. They took us out to gain experience, gathering real life stories and applying the knowledge that we have gained doing all those mock writing stories.

I especially enjoyed the trip to the royal pavilion exhibition and learning to write a review. Although I have written a review on an art exhibition, it was from an academic point of view. I learnt the major difference from a journalist’s perspective, which is an attention to detail. Whilst this is important in every piece one writes, it is really important to get the facts right when writing a review for a newspaper.

Brighton Pavilion

The other really interesting day we spent was researching for a court story at the Lewes Crown Court. There are so many rules that we have to bear in mind when reporting a court story. It is absolutely mindboggling!!! Anyway, I have decided to include both these stories in the final Journalism Portfolio. So, I hope that I can write them well.

Lewes Crown Court

On a brighter note, I am going to be in London for the next couple of weeks. I am really looking forward to exploring the city during the course of my stay. To be honest, I have been a bit boring during the last few months. In fact, the extent of my extracurricular activities has been on a scale of 1 to 10 been -0 (cringe worthy!!!). So, in order to regain my sanity after weeks of academia induced insanity, I hereby vow to let my hair down and enjoy the holidays. So happy holidays, dear reader!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment